that's me - Stephanie Boman!

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How and why I did it

IT. As in, created a website. Lots of my fellow bloggers are talking about issues relating to online presences - from introverts being expected to be extroverts to the masses who are suddenly talking about tech time taking away from personal time (like, with live people). So, here's my contribution to keeping you from a few more minutes of face time with a loved one *g*.

Though I'm not published (YET), I wanted a website because I felt anxious to have a professional representation of me on the web that would appeal to potential readers. This LJ blog is for my writer-related rantings. I wanted a separate site that would include, among other stuff about me, a journal/blog with topics that teens would be interested in.

And here's where Facebook redeemed itself with me. I connected with a friend I knew from high school whom I remember as being talented in graphic arts and now has his own design business. I told him I'd been thinking about a professional website - and soon we were working together on it. Justin did a great job - I love my site and think it represents me and I think/hope it will appeal to teens.

Some things I love especially: my high school pee-chee in the background and other images from my writing life (favorite pen, crumpled paper) and my handwriting used as a font. I love the overall design and colors. Justin did a good job of putting as much of me into the site as possible (see my signature!). I highly recommend his services - you can find him at macduffdesign.com.

So. New website. Yay!

Here's the rub: spending chunk o' money on fancy-schmancy website = no-turning-back commitment to become published.

During this process, however, I've become even more attached to my laptop. But now that I'm done, I'm making a new goal - to spend less time online. I have definitely noticed a disconnect from family life because of increased internet use (by all of us) and I want to change that. My website journal will be updated once a week - and LJ posts one to two times a week at most. Though I always have lots of thoughts to share, I would rather use that brain/composing time to do my real writing. I'm fairly well cured of my FB addiction, though I still want to stay in the loop there. I will limit my blog-reading to a half hour a day and drastically reduce my email checking, with you as my witnesses.

To sum up, as I'm steadily increasing my online presence, I'm also going to become more conscious of using my own online time wisely. Playing dominoes and going out for ice cream with my ten-year-old (which we did tonight) is far more precious than zoning out in front of the computer screen. You never get these days back - once they're gone, they're gone, and I vow to remind myself of that from now on.

1 comments:

Vicki Rocho said...

It looks great! I've bought my domain name, but it'll be awhile before I put anything up there. Good for you for taking the plunge!!!

Post a Comment